Thanks to the rainy season, a healthy bowl of pepper soup seems to come in handy. Now they’re various types pf pepper soups, spread across different continents. But today we’d be considering the Nigerian way of making this.
A bowl of pepper soup consists of a lot of things: cow legs, chicken, goat, stock fish, dry fish, cat-fish, beef etc. And it’s mostly taken alone, but depending on the individual can be taken with a plate of white rice, boiled plantains, soft-boiled yams, bread etc.
Today we’d be considering the catfish pepper soup.
- Cat fish, 500g
- Scent leaves, a sizable number
- 2 tsp of ground crayfish
- Nutmeg – 4 seeds
- Chilli Pepper
- 1 medium bulb of Onion
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Wash and cut cat-fish into little thick slices. Boil some water, pour on the pieces of cut fish, stir and remove immediately. This helps to toughen the skin of the fish.
- Grate your nutmeg seeds
- Cut onion into tiny pieces.
- Wash scent leaves, and dice them into tiny pieces with a knife and a chopping board.
Now To Business
- Put pieces of the cat-fish into a pot, add the seasoning cubes, then pour hot water over it and leave it to boil.
- When it starts boiling, add your; grated nutmeg, scent leaves, onions, crayfish, and continue cooking.
- When it’s done, add salt to it for taste and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, and it’s ready.
Now the thing about pepper soups, is that they are best served hot. Feel free to try with any combo you can come up with.
Remember, Health is Wealth!